Hunter is such a funny eater. Some days he's Picky McPickerson, and other days he's an eating machine!! Very few times in his life has he amazed me with how much food he can eat, but some days I get the wow-factor going, as I watch in wonder at more and more bites going down the hole! Not to mention his diapers, haha. Now granted, I'm sure it's probably not even a lot of food, but I wouldn't really know, as it is 'a lot' in comparison to probably the day before when he politely shakes his head no (he still doesn't say 'no', crazy!) to most of the food we try to feed him. Sigh. I'm glad it all evens out though. He's healthy and thriving! When he does eat, it's kiwis and oatmeal and dips and smoothies and noodles and chicken and yogurt and asparagus and PEAS and cheese and dips and crackers and almond butter and cereal and apples and peppers and dips and juice and milk and water and dips and sausages and oranges and dips and pomegranate and yes... more DIPS (bips)!! Good thing I like making hummus, and I'm thankful he doesn't even know what ranch is, otherwise we'd have a big problem over here! Usually his dips are greek yogurt with sometimes some flavor mixed in (a vinegerette, pesto, jam, peanut butter, hot sauce, salsa, etc) mustard (he LOVES mustard) ketchup (not my fave but hey, it gets him to eat a veggie!) or hummus. And to be honest? I love it. At this point, if I could eat every food I eat with some dips, thems are some good eats! So, I wonder where he got his bips addiction?
He is STELLAR when it comes to going to the church nursery or playschool group. I love his newfound independence when it comes to being mom-less for 1-2 hours at a time. It gives me so much freedom!
Hunter is starting to try to understand that mommy has a baby in her belly. Sometimes he forgets and calls it a ball. And, I apologize in advance if he ever points to your stomach and yells, 'ball!' or, 'baby!' He's still learning how it all works. It doesn't mean a thing about your stomach, it's mostly his level of understanding....and sometimes his way of joking, haha. He pointed to a buddha statue at a restaurant the other day and claimed he had a baby in his tummy... (although I could imagine why he thought so) We obviously have a long ways to go before June if we want to help him understand how much his life is going to change!
Hunter has been waking up from his naps very very cranky lately. I've tried a few tactics, but when Jake is not home to provide another distraction, the best thing I have found to do? Pop some 'pop-pop' with him, give him some water, and put him on the couch for 10 minutes with a Veggie Tales. All by himself. And when he's finished his bowl? Happy Hunter once again, and I even got 10 minutes to clean the kitchen or ha, who am I fooling.... watch 10-15 minutes of indulgent kid-movie, even if I have to watch from the other room to avoid making him cry by standing in the wrong side of the room, wearing the wrong color socks, or touching his arm with cold hands! (yes, he is this particular when he wakes up from naps... it's funny and unsettling at the same time, thinking this could be a part of his personality for good!)
Hunter is finding his own little routines, much to the enjoyment (and dismay) of his parents, depending on the situation. A few examples. In the morning, if Jake gets up with him (which he has been doing much more lately as Jake has been working less) Hunts just hangs out and sometimes even just lays with Jake on the couch as they both attempt to wake up. It's leisure and quiet and dark and relaxing. The second Hunter catches a glimpse of me? It's whining and 'MOMMY!' and 'I'm so hungry I can't wait another second before I eat' and mad and sad and owies and tears. Aaah! It's fairly hilarious because I can see what he was like prior to my appearance... and it is a very different Hunter than once he realizes mom is around! He also knows WHERE he likes to eat his breakfast. At the table? Nope. In his high chair in the kitchen? You'd think. Hunter will tell you where he likes to eat breakfast (and we give in because lunch and dinner are in the usual, more accepted areas of one's house) by telling us, 'THAT! that! that!' and running over to the couch and pointing like a madman to try to claim his spot. He also loves his little blue chair (thanks Gruncle Malcolm & Grantie Lori!). He usually tries to pile as many things in his arms while on this chair. Why this? Who knows. It's adorable. And it's so frustrating to him. And a hoot to watch. Lastly, he knows where Hunter's spot and where mommy's spot is in mommy's room, where we often play with a ball. He knows that if he takes my hand, walks me to my room (where he must've brought in 5 balls to) and shows me where I need to sit, I have a really hard time saying No. How cute is that! Anyways, he's becoming his own person, and I love being a part of watching these idiosyncrasies appear.
This post made me laugh because we've gone through almost all of this as well! Cranky nap wake ups, dips galore, picky eating, really wanting to eat on the couch, etc. Such a sweet boy
ReplyDelete