Haskins Boys

Haskins Boys

Thursday, October 4, 2012

18 Months

Oh, my 18-month old "Baby"!  
Where has the time gone?  ...And when did you get such big pouty lips? 



JibJabber:  

Oh what amazing things I would learn if I could only interpret his daily gab!  Some moments I can't get a word in edgewise, and other times (usually in front of others) he'll give you a big toothy grin and pretend he has no voice, just to make me look silly while trying to get him to wiggle those vocal chords.  I know he's cracking up on the inside...   But, there are times we CAN understand what he's saying!  Here is a list of his general vocab:

Mama
Dada
DadaMama
MamaDada
Ya
Yeah!
Myeah!
Nah-Nah (Blanket)
Bah (Ball)
Bop (Plop! as in when he's throwing something, like a rock. or chicken.)
Mmmm Mmmmm (Woof Woof!)
Bah (What a sheep says)
Mmmm (What a cow says)
Da Dung (All Done)
Da Dung (All Gone)
Da! Dung! (Bye Bye)
Cheese (Gzzz!)
GG, Pappy(Babby), Mimi,(Babby/Ba-Mi) Grampa (Gamba), Ki-Ki, Ally (Bally) Austin (Badi)
Baby (Babby)
Uh-Oh
Frisbee (Da-Da or Babee)
Airplane (Babane)

This is definitely not an exhaustive list.  I'm sure Hunter would be horrified at the miniscule list of words I actually understand... but I'm sure it won't be long before I start to make more connections and understand his babbulobeediylio's and his doodaadeenananee's and can finally slap my knee at all the jokes he's been telling me all these months!  Soon enough, I know... soon enough.  

He's also still signing, so we still have more forms of communication for me to not understand!  But, I'm not focusing on the signing as much, as he won't usuall try to form any word around something he can sign.  


ZZZZZzzzzz......

He's a dream!  (ha, no pun intended)  He wakes up about 6:45-7:00a.m. and is generally a very happy kiddo.  He only takes ONE nap, and has been "mostly" consistent about this!  He'll sleep roughly from 12:30-2:00, give or take.  Then, he'll go to bed for the night between 7:00-7:30p.m.  He's on a few week streak of not making one peep during the night, and as any mama knows.... one could get used to that!  :)


Chomp Chomp:

Hunter still nurses in the morning and in the evening, but only eats solid foods throughout the day.  Notice above picture?  I guess you could say he has a small connection with the nursing cover.  Other eating habits?  He has been practicing his baseball skills with all sorts of foods.  In his free time he should really be a spokesperson for Swiffer. 
Anyone else have an 18-month old who likes to chew on their food for a while... then spit it out?  Every bite?  Hmm.....  I guess he could be on to something, if you're looking for an odd weight loss plan.  But this little guy needs to grow!  He has been doing this for over a week now (not every bite at every meal, thankfully) and has gradually been swallowing more of his bites.... but it still boggles my mind that he could put so much effort into chewing up the tasty bites... and then dump it into a soggy mess on my hand or his tray.  How unsatisfying!  
He has a CRAZY obsession with APPLES right now.  Thankfully... we have gobs of them to go around (thanks Azure Standard) and I'm happy for him to use them up!  Pretty much every time he wakes up (from naps or bedtime) he'll be making the 'apple' sign with his hand.  Pretty much every time there's an awkward silence in the house, he'll get his hand by his cheek, and twist it round and round.  Apple, anyone?  And almost any time he sees a tomato, a banana, or a red pepper.  It's APPLES that we see!  He used to be good at deciphering these fruits, but perhaps now that he's getting more of an education and expanding his fruit repertoire.... it must be a little too much, and I'm thankful at least that he's in the right category!  
Other things he enjoys eating at this lovely stage:  oranges, tomatoes, oatmeal, cubed turkey, beans, peas, cooked carrots, hummus, yogurt with o-o's, some of my smoothies, pesto pasta, CHEESE (GZZ!), Na-Nee (anything in a crinkly package like Annie's bunnies, etc.) milk, GG's spaghetti, and of course, apples.  





Random Tidbits:

He's now had 3 haircuts.  He's getting more patient with the scissors, but I tell ya, it's all about the cheddar bunnies!
He gets crazy goofy when he's tired.  He'll spin round and round until he falls down giggling just because he really doesn't know what else to do with his energy.  
His favorite activity is still swinging, or watching fans.  
He HAS to hold two toys in his hands when he's getting his diaper changed.  You could risk it with one... but *gasp* what if he throws one?  You better stick with two.
He weighs in at just over 22 pounds.  Don't have a clue where that lies on the percentage chart, but the kid's healthy, so we're saying he's right on track.
I don't have a clue how many teeth he has.  But, he's got lots!  And I think he's in the midst of getting more *drool*
We've been to one library storytime.  However, we went to the 'baby' story time because that was the only one we could go to..... Let's just say we'll never go back.  I'm sorry to all the babies Hunter was yelling at and throwing balls in your faces... 
Hunter loves our new house.  So much to explore, inside and out!   
Hunter loves his 5 cousins.  He loves his older cousins because they take care of him so well!  And he loves Veronique because she gives him the excuse to say "Babby" for hours on end!  All in all, he's really got a good thing going with his cousins. 





I've seen so many fun and amazing personality changes/revealings in the past month, it's incredible!  Hunter is a sweet, silly boy who is learning so much every day.  I only pray that I would remember to slow down & enjoy this unique special stage!  He really opens up & is obviously excited when I fully engage, and PLAY with him, or even just hold his hand and walk side by side.  



Happy 18 month birthday, Hunts!  Can't believe it's only 6 months until you turn another whole number!  Lots of Love..








1 comment:

  1. So fun to read this. Crazy how much they change in just a few months, huh?
    And as far as chewing food and spitting it out... Molly has just started doing the same, with her apples! Funny to know she's not alone.
    Happy 18 Months to Hunter! :)

    ReplyDelete