Haskins Boys

Haskins Boys

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

14 Months

The Eating

Hunter has quite the fluctuation of eating habits lately.  Last week I felt as though I could convince him to eat ANYthing (even the dreaded broccoli hummus concoction that Jake wouldn't get close to) and he kept piling the food in!  This week?  Its back to:  Bite. Drink! Bite. Schmear it on his face.  Bite.  Throw it on the floor.  Bite.  Bite.  Drink.  But he doesn't want milk, he wants water.  Wait, he did want milk.  And nope, he's done with the pasta.  Wait what?  You only want the pasta now?  Oh, he ALWAYS likes oatmeal.  Oh, he won't eat any oatmeal today?  So funny how much control he has in the eating department, and he can't even talk!

Some favorites:  PEAS!!!  Watermelon, Cheesy Pesto Toast, Oatmeal, any variation of Hummus, most of my Smoothies, Asparagus, Sweet Potatoes, almost any kind of Cheese, Peaches, Avocado, Chicken, Homemade Pizza, Black Beans, Snap Pea Crisps, Yogurt, and Milk.  He'll give pretty much anything a try, which is great.  But even I can tell when I'm trying a little too hard to make something healthy.  Like some of my smoothies.  Sorry to anyone who I've fed a smoothie to and you had to feign a sickness to cover the coughing that ensued over my "healthy smoothies".  I might try to make them taste yummier.  Or I might not, and just may never offer them to anyone else, since both Hunter and I don't seem to mind them too much.  :)


The Drinking

I am so thrilled at how this whole nursing thing has worked out.  I've been asked multiple times how I plan on weaning Hunter, or what my goal is for having him primarily on solids and cows milk.  I never once questioned myself when I automatically said that it would happen naturally, without a true plan of action.  Hunter nurses about 3 times a day, with an occasional extra one in the evening, as needed.  At this point, He nurses when he wakes up, and after his two naps.  And it seems as though he could forget about it sometimes if I didn't offer, and he no longer wakes up at 11:00pm for that late-night meal.  So, although I know things could change, I feel as though we'll just gradually work our way to eating all-solids. And at this point, judging by some of his food-habits, its a good thing he is getting some extra nutrition built into his day so his picky funny mealtime self isn't harming his health!


The Playing

Hunter has a plethora of new skills in his playing repertoire!!  It's amazing how much can change in just one month. Wow.  He tries to stack things now (unsuccessfully though) he will point to things if we ask where things around the house are, he will push the truck around, he will hit a balloon back and forth with you until we're all blue in the face, he will find anyone's belly button who's willing to allow such silliness, he'll point to your head, nose, ears, feet, hands, and teeth.  He still enjoys a good game of peek-a-boo, he LOVES to splash in the bath, go under my "bridge" (legs) with his walker (or now, just walking under the bridge) and get this.  He LOVES GRASS!!  Yay!  It just took a bit of getting used to.  Now, he'll crawl or walk in the beautiful green blades, without giving it a second thought.  He'll roll a ball back and forth with you, give a hug to any stuffed animal or person by request, and he'll give anyone a hi-five (or a double hi-five if you're lucky)!   He still loves his Ny-Ny more than anything else he could hold in his arms, and was shocked/horrified when I showed him how I washed it in the washing machine!  Almost ruined him!  Oh yeah.  And if Hunter could spend like 24 hours in one place for the rest of his life, I'm positive he could be sitting on a SWING forever and ever and ever.  He really does love it that much.  Jake sometimes messes with him and pretends we're done (when we're really not) just to see how he responds.  And yes, Jake.  He WILL always cry.  But, hopefully it just gives Hunter more enjoyment when he starts pushing him again.  Because whatever it is...  Hunter has it bad for the swings.


The Sleeping

Hunter has been sleeping like a CHAMP!  (Well, except for the past few days with a new horrible rash on his bum that's giving us all a run for our money).  He wakes up between 6:45 and 7:30, naps around 9:30/10:00 for probably an hour and 15 minutes.  He'll take his second nap around 2:00/3:00 for about an hour, then head happily to bed at 7:30!  Can I hear a Hollah!!  (That was for Rachel)  Anyways, I'm very satisfied with his sleep habits.  And, he has only been caught jumping up and down in his crib once in the past month.  Not bad, I'd say!  Otherwise, he stays laying down in his bad like an angel, waiting for us to make the first move to get him up.  Pretty much perfect.


The Waking Up

Although I haven't gone in and picked up many babies from their naps, it has been completely fascinating to watch Hunter wake up time and time again!  Its probably one of my most favorite times of the day.  When we open the door to get him, he immediately stops making noises, and stops banging his legs on his crib.  He waits there in silence and frozen in one place....  until he sees our eyes peek over the crib top - and then bang bang bang - goes his legs against the crib, his mouth erupting into a huge grin, and his arms flailing up and down in excitement over the potential that this person standing over the crib will be picking him up very soon....  But thats not all.  When he's in our arms and walking down the hall, he will pretty much point at everything that is familiar to him.  Today it was:  1) the felt monsters on his wall (he calls those 'da da') 2) the black balloon sitting in the middle of the hall 3) the piano we have been playing every day for the past couple of weeks, 4) the walker that he is still giddy over, even though he doesn't have to rely on it anymore, and lastly 5) the clock.  It's like he is seeing them for the first time ever, and he can't WAIT to start playing with them/watching them (the clock) as soon as possible! (but after he eats of course). Regardless of why, it is super incredible to watch his face light up as he points at everything in his pathway, as he plans his attack on how he will get his hands on these amazing play-things!!


The Stats

Well, I have no idea how long he is, but this past Thursday (May 31st) he weighed 20 lbs. 8 oz.  (however, this was with clothes and a diaper on...).  We measured him SUPER precisely on our Wii Fit.  I'm not looking forward to hearing where this number places him on the old Percentage Chart... but our little guy is healthy, so maybe I'll tell the doc not even to tell me next month!  He still has 8 teeth, but has been teething like a maniac this month!  Please come through, awful teeth!  Cut the boy some slack!


Hunter, you are becoming more of a boy every day, I love watching you grow!  You mean the world to us, and we are everyday thankful that we are your parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment