Haskins Boys

Haskins Boys

Monday, December 12, 2011

Jingle All the Way

Although we ran out of time to actually put the jingles on our toes, we still joined the festive and purposeful Jingle Bell Run this past weekend!  This was the first run that Hunter has ever been a part of, and I would say he's a natural.  I think he even tried to make himself more aerodynamic so Jake would have an easier time dodging the 3,100 people around us.  

The run is really to raise $$ for arthritis research, ( which I think they made a lot of money, yay! )  but I had a few other things going on in my head as we ran.  This was a big "Look-Back" moment for me as we braved the cold temperatures and many other strollers in the pathways.  Jake's family always talks about look-back moments, and I've not joined in much on that conversation, but I couldn't avoid thinking about this one the whole time!

This actually wasn't Hunter's first time doing this run, in fact, he ran the whole thing last year!  However, he was in my tummy and we didn't know what we were going to be in for, 4 months from that date.  Well I knew we were going to HAVE a baby. . . . but I didn't know it would be our sweet Hunter.  I didn't know if we would ever be able to leave the house after he was born, or if we would still have friends once our little guy joined the world ( we were basically the first of our small group to venture into parenthood ) or if it would be so much work that we were just exhausted ALL the time and fun things just wouldn't happen because that would put us over the edge.  I didn't know that I would love this little sweet, happy, social boy more than I could have ever imagined, and that he would 'just fit' with Jake and I so well.  I knew none of this as I ran last year, but was hopeful and living in faith that God would be with us throughout the process, whatever it involved.  And He totally has.  God is faithful!  Our journey of parenthood thus far has not been too difficult, but it has come with many small challenges, just because we have so much to learn!  

Something about doing the Jingle Bell Run exactly one year later just stopped me in my tracks on Saturday morning, and made me get just a little bit reminiscent/nostalgic.  Last year, I knew that I loved Jake and I loved our relationship.  This year I love Jake in a whole new way;  as a father to our son, and as a partner in the parenting biz.  Last year I knew I loved the child I was carrying, but oh my do I love my little Hunter now!  Last year I was fancy-free and could make decisions that only affected Jake and I.   This year, my schedule looks a little different, and every decision we make will affect Hunter as well!  . . . a little overwhelming if I think about it too much!  

I know there are many "look-back" moments to come, and most will be even more poignant than this one, but I am trying to relish my time as a mommy with just one young child - a time I will never get back!  

And here we are, ready to run!


And . . . We still have friends that will hang out with us.  Phew!  Here are our running buddies for the morning.  A fun crew!



And, this picture is here to show you why we probably won't get Santa pictures done this year . . . 





But don't Jake and I look happy?  Haha. . . 

1 comment: