I am sure most of you have been to a family reunion or two in your life... You all find a spot to spend one to two days together to catch up on the past few years, or 5 years, or 10, however it goes. Perhaps there's some activities planned, and of course, there will be food, and probably lots of it! You'll mingle around and maybe only stay for a few hours because you have somewhere else to be by evening's end. If you're lucky you get to spend the night and have breakfast together before you all go back to your lives as quick as can be.
I thought this was how most reunions were (if families even held them).... until.... I met the Haskins family. I have been going to their reunions for at least 5 years now, and it wasn't until this year that I realized how amazing the weekend truly is, and how crazy the family is for taking this big venture on EVERY year! (granted, my Minnesota family has one every year but its been 10 years since I've been and I don't remember it being this full! ...but it was a long time ago so I won't discredit that reunion!)
What started as just a Saturday/Sunday gig has now turned into a Friday/Saturday/Sunday gig.... and this year there were plenty of people coming Thursday, and some staying through Monday! So not only do the days get filled like crazy, the entire weekend is seeping into the rest of the week! Move over, August, the Haskins Family Reunion is coming to stay!!
So we started with a little bit of this:
 |
Pappy with all the kids while the rest of us golfed 9 holes (Jake golfed too)
|
 |
| Waiting at hole 6! |
Then, we had our annual post-golf DAIRY QUEEN trip (no photo included...too busy eating my Cookie Jar blizzard to even think about a camera...)
I'm sure we then took a break to play with Hunter back at the reunion site.
 |
| A new toy: Pappy's hair! |
We then greeted more and more people as they arrived at the farm in Rochester, set up our tents, ate dinner, and crashed for the evening.
Saturday. A CRAZY Day! It all started with an enormous shared breakfast of pancakes, eggs, meat, and various fruits.
Then the fun begins.
SOFTBALL GAME!
 |
| These are just the watchers! |
 |
| Here are the actual players |
BABY SHOWER!
 |
| New babies added within the year. Not sure they were all ready for this pic... |
CRAFT TIME!
 |
| A little homemade tablecloth that everyone needed to "sign" |
And what's a Family Reunion without a little COMPETITION?
 |
| Team Dick Haskins |
 |
| Team Ray Haskins |
 |
| Team Bob Haskins |
After a HUGE dinner where we're supposed to bring food items the same color as your team, there were actually team competitions! (the teams were split up though... but the HASKINS CUP was very intense!) No photo again... but there were tons of stations that everyone had to go through... and first team to finish wins!
 |
| Team Blue hanging out by the french fry maker (best place to be!) |
 |
| And.... another picture of Hunter just because I adore him |
Okay. So perhaps you're not terribly impressed. But then they added a little of THIS!
So much fun for all who dared to join the SLIP 'N SLIDE!
Alright. Sunday morning. Started out with a lovely CHURCH SERVICE. I just love that we do this.
Then, there's the super competitive EGG TOSS.
 |
My partner and I decided our egg was destined for failure when we STARTED with a crack! :(
|
Then all the kids jumped for joy & into the big pile for their CANDY IN THE HAY search! No photo included, but in case you're worried... Hunter did NOT join in this year. Jake was a little disappointed but I'm sure he'll be out there next year, bringing candy home for daddy.
Then, there was the TRIVIA. Oh my. Always a big hit and I'm always clueless. I'm lucky if I get everyone's names right who's there, much less the people that aren't there, and the previous generations! Whew! So great to have so many people care about the family who came before them.
Then, we wrap it up, eat (again) pack up & mosey out of there with hugs and drawn out goodbyes.
 |
| Just another photo of our sweetie |
Even writing this post makes me tired! The trampoline, the goofball, the tents, the dirt, the river, the naps! Add all of these things together, with 95 people, so many kiddos running around, so many conversations to be had, so much food to eat, so many games to play, its a truly amazing idea that it "just works" so well! However, a lot of work by a lot of people goes into planning this event, so for that I am thankful.
I hope we'll be ready to take it all on again next year, because its OUR Ray Haskins Family turn to plan the events of the weekend!
This sounds like such a fun event. What an awesome family legacy this family has. Did you try the slip and slide??
ReplyDelete