Haskins Boys

Haskins Boys

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Crossing the Border

Hunter left the country for the first time last week!  Canada was calling our name, and we had to follow the road to the Northern land.  We headed into Chilliwack (ok we didn't make it very far into Canada) and it totally exceeded my expectations!  It was a beautiful area, and only just over an hour away!  Hunter dipped his toes in his first "foreign waters" (Chilliwack River) and lets just say that perhaps someday (most likely when he's a little older than 4 months) he might appreciate the river as much as his dad does!  He put up with it well enough though, being the trooper he is.
 

We enjoyed spending time walking up and down the river, checking out some rapids in case Jake gets a chance to kayak the river.  (He's already planning his trip I'm sure)


While there, we were lucky enough to see individuals practicing on the Kayak Slolem Course on one of the rapids.  These people are so strong!  




We drove around a bit and headed to Cultus Lake, as there seemed to be a lot of "hype" about it online and via the road signs and Billboards (so many of them!) as we drove.  When we got to the area, we were actually a little surprised!  This lake is SO beautiful, and it seems as though the area is a big "vacation destination" and we've never even heard of it!  There were tons of camp grounds, an enormous water slide park, a big putt-putt golf course, and a few different swimming beaches.  We decided it was a slightly closer version of Lake Tahoe, and next time we get the Tahoe itch.... we'll most likely head to Cultus Lake instead.  I'm pretty sure Hunter would appreciate that decision!


We then headed into the town of Chilliwack and enjoyed a huge dinner at a Greek restaurant downtown.  I'm pretty sure there was no food left in their kitchen after they served us our "platter for two". . . but we didn't complain!

All in all, a lovely afternoon in Canada.  The only thing I am still confused by is why all of them (Canadians) come to the states to buy all their milk at Costco?  They really do have Costco's in their country.  I saw them!  Oh well.  I suppose we can share our milk.  Perhaps they don't have cows?  Hmm. . .  something to look for on our next Canadian adventure . . . .

1 comment:

  1. Lets go to this lake/river together! Sounds like fun and I know the kids would have a blast. Maybe a late september camping trip???

    ReplyDelete